I was going to make blackberry jam tonight with the rest of the berries we picked but it turned out they didn’t survive until today in the fridge. So the backup plan is: Banana Split!
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 ¼ cup (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
5 large eggs
2 cups plus 8 Tbs all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 cups blackberries
My mother-in-law left recently, which means we had a guest room just sitting empty. We debated moving our son back into his own room, but decided for now to keep the kids together in one room and turn the other room into a playroom. Here’s what the room looked like this morning:
After a few hours of work moving furniture around and sorting toys, the room now looks like this:
Since I was able to move some things out of the kids room, I was able to reorganize their room as well (there are no before pictures but imagine complete chaos):
We have a big trip coming up in about 6 weeks and it involves a loooong plane ride, so I’m starting to think about how to entertain the little munchkins while we’re airborne. One thought was to make a small feltboard that I can use to tell a few stories with, and that the kids can play with independently. We have a feltboard version of the Hungry Caterpillar, but the board is huge so I wanted to come up with something smaller and more carry-on friendly. I will still be able to use the felt pieces from the Eric Carle story, but with my own backdrop.
I already had a piece of white felt that measures about 8″ x 11″ so I decided to use that and just paint it with a landscape that could be used for several different stories. I painted on the felt with watercolor paint – its still wet now but I hope that when it dries the felt will still have the ‘sticky’ quality that will allow the felt story pieces to stick to it. I figured that acrylic paint would create a slick layer on top of the felt that would hinder the sticking.
I’ve got a few ideas for felt-board stories – I’m really excited to start working on ‘Stone Soup’ – but does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?
I’m still working on things, although nothing very big or noteworthy, but I need to take a bit of a break from posting. Its beginning to feel too much like a chore and not fun, and since there’s no reason to wreck my creative drive by ruining it with chores, I’m going to ease off a bit. It turns out that posting something to this blog every day actually turns into a double project (the actual creative act plus the blog post) and with the new school year looming for both kiddos at two different schools something’s gotta give. I’ll be back soon, however, with more interesting projects. Thanks for reading!
The first thing to do in the morning before the guests arrived was arrange the flowers. I bought some individual bunches of flowers at the supermarket and then supplemented with flowers from our garden, mostly with the big beautiful hydrangeas we have.
|This arrangement was completely from our garden|
|All of these flowers were from the supermarket|
|I brought these glass pop bottles back from Paraguay – they’ve got great names and unusual shapes blown into the bottles (from l to r: Simba, Kandy, Pulp and Mirinda). The flowers are gerbera daisies.|
|This bouquet is another supermarket/garden mix. The container is an empty olive oil container.|
Next we needed to set up chairs and tables, put out the snacks and drinks, and finish the decorations.
|The bar setup: Can you believe this bottle didn’t even get opened?!|
Finally that was all done and the guests began to arrive, which meant we could start the show. The first thing you have to do is dig the hole in the ground: we were lucky because we’d already dug it last year and left it intact (we’d filled it in with bricks and covered it over with dirt to keep water and children out of it).
Next we built a fire (two, actually) to heat the rocks up.
Once the rocks were good and hot it was into the pit, followed by the food.
|There was some debate over whether the Incas had the “Ove-Glove“|
|Yukon gold potatoes, sweet potatoes and yellow corn waiting to go into the pit.|
After the pit was filled with food it was covered over with banana leaves, then more hot rocks were added to the top, then wet burlap went over that to be covered finally by a mound of dirt.
Two hours later and this is what we ended up with . . .
|The top layer was corn and potatoes|
And at the end, all there was left was to clean up.
– Edited to add everything else in this post except this bit “This is just a placeholder post until tomorrow – I’m too exhausted to do it now! ‘nite all!”
I didn’t stop for more than a few minutes today and didn’t have a chance to take any photos of the decorating I’ve been doing for the party tomorrow – I’ll try and take a moment before things get crazy to take some pictures and do a full party recap tomorrow night!