We had a color-in this evening after we got back from camp. We needed a mellow evening.
We took advantage of the beautiful late summer day today and headed to the beach for what will probably be one of our last beach outings of the season. While the kids played in the sand I picked up a small smooth piece of driftwood and sketched the landscape in front of me.
I should have put something in the photo for scale: The wood is about two inches long.
I’ve come up for air for a minute from the hectic pace of back-to-school to work on the kids’ travel journals for our upcoming trip. Today I drew the route maps for our flights out and back; not the actual map but an approximation of the time in the air, so they can color blocks of time and see ‘if we’re there yet’. I just realized in the middle of the trip we also have a 3+ hour car ride (each way) so I’ll have to plan some activities for that as well!
I made the second batch of blackberry jam today. I did a few things differently – I used a bit less sugar and added two diced apples to try and give the jam more body. I haven’t opened a jar of this batch yet so I don’t know if the experiment worked.
I think that there is at least another batch of jam worth of berries on the bushes, so I’ll probably try to pick more sometime this week – that cake was so good that I might have to make another one of those as well.
Today the eight cups of wild blackberries in my fridge became 6 pints of blackberry jam (although it might be a wee bit closer to blackberry sauce than jam; no matter).
|First the well-washed berries went into the bowl (actually they were already washed and in the bowl from yesterday).|
|Next they were mashed up with a potato masher – next time I’ll leave more whole berries.|
|Lots of sugar went into the pot on top of the berries. Lemon juice went in as well, un-photographed.|
|After about 30 minutes of cooking time, the jam went into clean hot jars and was processed in a hot water bath for 25 minutes.|